Saturday, September 19, 2009

Did They Do This Before?

Some of you are probably aware of my feelings on the new PSP GO. And if you aren't, suffice it to say, that I'm a little conflicted. It sounded like a good CONCEPT, and I was excited to hear about an update to the PSP lineage, however, I think it looks ugly as sin. That's not really the point of this blog, I guess.

"Unboxings" are a type of video that became popular on the internet for obsessive nerds all over the world. I myself got a huge chunk of my youtube-viewership through the unboxing of at least 2 PSP's. Like most good things on the net, the concept was (and partially is) a COMPLETELY foreign concept to the average Layman-America. I remember trying to explain it to the skater kid that would hang outside the grocery store I worked at. He acted like it was the most odd behavior he'd ever heard of.

Nevertheless, I have never known an unboxing to go beyond the realm of the hobbyist, but recently with the announcement and release of both the coming PSP GO and the PS3 Slim, I've seen "official" unboxings done by people at gaming media companies, who have been given the hardware ahead of time. Right now I have a youtube video pulled up that's of an unboxing done by the fellows at IGN.

It all feels pretty wrong to me. It doesn't feel like I'm really watching a legitimate unboxing video, in the same way that a wedding wouldn't really feel like a proper union of two people if FOX NEWS was reporting on it, or if someone was getting paid to do it. My first objection is that this feels, to me, like another attempt to shift the balance of power from average citizens to corporate entities with corporate mindsets. It's not enough to control the mainstream media, but it would appear that the domination of underground culture is on the agenda as well. In fact, just the other day, I was reading a an article concerning 4chan and the fact that companies feel that new media is less accessible to advertisement agencies. I would wager that they were expressing the notion that they would like that to change.

The other objection I have with this is the potential for corruption. How long ago was it that a video game journalist was fired for giving SOME VIDEOGAME a bad a review? It was either on Gamespot or IGN, I don't really recall, but either way, the game in question had been produced by the same company that was advertising on the site, and it was a big media story (among the inter-webs that is) that the reviewer was fired for giving it a negative score. My point here is that if the first unboxings (which tend to be like "reviews" in nature) are handled by corporations and not the consumers what is to ensure that they won't lie through their teeth to protect the maker of the product. They might, for instance, pick up the new PSP Go and say,

"Oh, it's bloody comfortable to hold." And then, with that advice in mind, you go out to purchase one, only to find out that it feels like a brick in your hand. Granted, this could just be avoided by waiting for joe-shcmoe to do a review of it on youtube, and it's probably not likely that such a huge flaw would be glossed over by IGN, but still, I would rather entrust my views to a video that was "home grown."


------------------------------------------------

In response to the previous post about "official unboxings and reviews" username: CarnageDissilusion left this comment:

"I believe unboxings and reviews are about opinions rather than stone facts. I would rather John Smith told me the PSPgo was uncomfortable rather than Sony telling me it's comfortable as hell.

I based my purchase of a PSP3000 on TKE's review and some other users..."

This brings an interesting point to mind, concerning the trustworthiness of non-consumer product reviews. I recall that around the same time that I released my review of the PSP 3000, so did a far more prolific website known as CNET. While I attempted to illustrate the now INFAMOUS scan-lines that PLAGUE the 3000 model, CNET didn't seem to think it was something that should be mentioned.

There were over 30 pages of complaints on the official Sony Forums, and even so, Sony sent us all e-mails saying that it wasn't even a problem. Personally, I try to ignore the scan-lines, however, if I had known that it was like this BEFORE I had purchased it, I most likely wouldn't have.

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean wheen i watched that video
    it didn't feel like an unboxing.In my opinion
    a unboxing should have.
    The object to be unboxed not have been opened before.This way you can get the opinion raw and unprepared so it seems more real.and i remember gamespot firing Jeff Gerstmann.Cause of his review of kane and lynch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT WAS IT... Kayne and Lych... riiiggghhhttt, anyway, so you see what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew IGN did unboxing videos.

    (Off-topic but I also wondered if Sony would ever release a slimmer version of the PS3 just like what they did to the PS2.)

    I do understand how unboxing videos like yours (and mine even thou mines just opening up a package, then a plastic bag that contained a Alto Saotome capsule figure. I would be glad to tell you my YT account) are more entertaining than IGNS (they're not bad but just "meh"-ish. I would like to explain why user unboxing videos are better than media unboxings but you get the point already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a completely stupid idea altogether. The original point of an unboxing video is so that people can see what it is like from a consumer's point of view.

    It is obvious that if someone sitting there, with a hollywood quality camera wearing a T-shirt with the company they are reviewing for on it tells you something, for example as mentioned, how comfortable it is to hold, people will obviously think twice. I certainly do. All salesmen are bullshitters, and official reviewers are basically salesmen who will talk whole loads of crap just to buy their product. After people have bought them the only way people are not gonna continue buying them is if they heard from a friend that it wasn't great.

    I believe unboxings and reviews are about opinions rather than stone facts. I would rather John Smith told me the PSPgo was uncomfortable rather than Sony telling me it's comfortable as hell.

    I based my purchase of a PSP3000 on TKE's review and some other users, I did not get swayed into buying one by any big companies because they try so hard to get business that they suck other companies off big time, and lie to the consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. That's why I don't really trust reviews done by ign and gt because it seems like every game is rated 8 or higher. I'm a big fan of the web show called NoobToob. Best gaming podcast/web show ever! http://www.youtube.com/user/tobin00

    Yow!


    P.S. Not trying to "advertise" NoobToob just showing my appreciation and I think you would like it if you watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its all about keeping it real. If its the average nerd enjoying talking about their new gadget for the knowledge of other nerds, without making any money off of it, its all real.

    It has that sense of quality, that sense of gamers/techs pride.

    That people who unbox items and make videos of it to show because they really want others like them to make the right choice that will suit them.

    I watched an unboxing of a PS3 slim before I went out and purchased one myself. The really serious one ran through all the specs and hardware. I still felt a need to look at something more "real" from a perspective like mine.
    So I found videos of users on youtube, average everyday gamers and I made the purchase off of their review.

    Its all about keeping it real.

    And as for the PSP go, you have to look at it like this. Sony is trying to fight Apple and Nintendo at the same time. They cant top the DS and they cant come close to all the features of the iphone, but they are damn well going to try. So they look at it as download content only is the way of the future since the iphone is living off of that. The Nintendo DS being kid friendly and "pop" style they feel is a better way to sell the system to younger kids. So they made the PSP Go more "trendy" for the kiddies.

    An example who it appeals to, my little brother, age 13, really wants a PSP Go. He has a normal PSP but the PSP go is much better in his eyes because of how small it is and the fact that it slides.
    Its all about making it smaller and easier, and the PSP Go, though dumbing down many features, does make it smaller and easier to carry around for the "casual" or "younger" gamer.

    Sony has to make money too, its a hard market for them right now.

    ReplyDelete